Quick Thoughts on What We Value

It struck me earlier, listening to someone talking as I walked by, as they spoke about how they wished a specific company would be sued for letting one of their product lines go (that is, ending this series of products). Why do we value what we do? People often desire the downfall of others if they have hurt them or their joy in any sense, as this is just pure human nature. I doubt it would be a shock to anyone if I said it is natural to want to hurt someone after they hurt you. But then, for the Christian, should this truly be the attitude? Or do we love our enemies, as Christ did, and feed them when they are hungry?
We may very well be angry at someone for doing something utterly evil, but is our anger justified in any way? When we go to buy something, and it is sold out, do we become angry at the other customers or the store itself? The world does. On Black Friday, at Wal-Mart, customers fought over phones. Going to a store like Best Buy on Black Friday is almost suicide. People, left to themselves, always desire what they do not have, if it thus suits their pre-supposed requirements for joy. This is, again, not a shocking nor profound point. But shouldn't these things change how we think daily? If I am a fan of a particular product series, and this series is discontinued, do I become bitter? Do I desire the complete downfall of that company? Christ, as it seems, owned very little on the earth during His time there. He had clothes, food (and even went without that for 40 days), and places to sleep. Why didn't He lavish upon Himself many glorious comforts of their day? We claim the title of "Christian," yet care less to live that out. Not to say that wanting a helpful product is evil 24/7, but we must constantly be on guard. I, of all people, know how much the desire for "shiny" new things can take a hold of one's mind. Being in the realm of technology, I often see things that would be far better for me, as I think it, and often desire to save up for them, or find a way to get them now. (More often the latter.) Could Christ have taken whatever He desired? Indeed He could. All these things on this earth are His anyway! Thus He could command His disciples to go out to find a certain man who was to have them use his house for the passover, without ever asking the man (Mat. 26:17-19), or obtain a donkey without a request from the owner (Mat. 21:1-7). Christ, being God, is the owner of all things. He made all things, and all things are for Him (Rom. 11:34-36).
And thus should come our perspective, that we are in the Owner of all things, and thus should not ever desire with greed what we have not been given. We may desire to be with our Lord, or to be free from the sin that so haunts us, but we dare not desire earthly things that are of no true eternal value. We are Christians, and thus are to be as He was. And if He, the Owner of all things, the King of kings and the Lord of lords, aquired very little during His time on earth, how could we justifiy desiring that which we know is of no true value. My smartphone is currently being used to write this post, and I am using a somewhat expensive cable to output the video signal to the TV I am using, while typing on a wireless bluetooth keyboard. These thing, if used only to please the desires of my flesh, would be useless. But I should use them for the glory of my Father, not for the so-called fulfillment of myself. We are to be content with what we have been given, and live as we know our Lord commanded. If the maker of this smartphone ignores me and completely gives up on the phone, and it stops working, could I be bitter at the company? If another company causes the maker to shut down, could I be bitter against either? I may not be happy all the time (which was never a command in Scripture), but I do rejoice in what I have. Though Christ was a man of sorrows, He gloried in the Father, and submitted Himself to the Father. We too, though not always pleased with our earthly belongings, should glorifiy the Father no matter what. He causes all things to happen, and nothing is thus out of His control.
And so, to make my way back to the orignial point of this post, when we hear that something happened that does not make us very happy, and removes the joy of having a daily item, are we really just in becoming upset with anybody? If I lost all that I owned, would I yell out "I hate sin!" No. Do I hate sin? Indeed! But the Lord gives, and He takes away. These earthly belongings have no lasting life. They may make it 100 years, but that is nothing in comparison to what we have waiting for us in Heaven. When we gain, we rejoice, and when we lose, we rejoice. Paul learned how to be content in whatever situation he was in, be it rich, or poor (Phil. 4:11-13). If I value my toys over my salvation in Christ, then I will behave as such. When my toys [electronics, games, music, foods, and all earthly comforts] are taken, I will act as though I have been harmed, and will be grieved and angry, and will voice my frustration with ease. But if I value Christ [all that I have in Him] more than anything, and these toys are taken, I will not be harmed in anyway, nor sad, nor angry, but will give the same response as Job did when he lost practically everything:

"The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Comments

Popular Posts